the itch: tales of creating a styled wedding shoot

{So here's the story...I've been keeping a mini journal about
the process of planning and photographing a styled wedding shoot,
mainly to remember the timeline in order to adjust for next time around, but also for memory's sake! Since today was the big day,
I'm able to share my thoughts with you!}

November 14, 2011:
Yesterday I completed the sweet-as-candy styled wedding shoot, and I'm already itching to start another one. I just...love it.

December 3, 2011:
Hmm...Pinterest keeps throwing carnival themed pics in my direction, so I've started putting together a pinboard called "Carnival Styled Shoot." Sounds kinda like it's gonna happen, wouldn't you agree?

February 25, 2012:
Life has finally settled down a bit. After all of the craziness over the Ottawa Wedding Show and my week in Las Vegas for WPPI 2012, I'm finally able to breathe a bit, and start figuring out ways to add MORE craziness to my schedule. Lol...story of my life.

February 27, 2012:
So the carnival-inspired styled shoot seems to be in motion. I've contacted my absolute FAVE cake designer, Chrystal, and I've recruited Shawna, a dear client, friend, and event coordinator at Effervescent Occasions.

March 12, 2012:
Shawna and I met at Starbucks to merge our visions and hash out the details. There were times during the meeting that we caught ourselves staring at each other without speaking, motioning that the wheels were turning in our heads. Three and a half hours later when Starbucks kicked us out at closing time (not kidding...) we left with full notebooks, and a clear idea of where we go from here.

March 13, 2012:
The inspiration board was born:


March 24, 2012
We just finished creating the physical inspiration board to supply to the vendors who we aren't able to meet with. 


April 18, 2012
Vendor meetings kicked off tonight, and I have to say, it's been a blast getting to know all of these great people in our area! If you need help finding a cake, a dress, a headpiece, a makeup artist...ANYTHING...you let me know and I'll hook you up with someone great :)

April 26, 2012
I just found out that Jasmine Star is doing a free webinar on creativeLIVE, all about how to get an editorial wedding published. Perfect timing, or what? I'm looking forward to tuning in and getting some tips on how to photograph with a particular publication in mind. Plus, I love Jasmine, so that's just icing on the cake.  

April 27, 2012
Someone needs to wave their magic wand and make it May 11th already because I am DYYYYING to get the camera in my hands and start shooting this styled shoot. Jasmine's seminar on creativeLIVE is filling my head with ideas and pictures in my head of everything I want to do during the shoot.

There's a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of both print and web publication, and I am just so thrilled to have participated in this course BEFORE the shoot. I'd be kicking myself if I watched this any day after May 11th!!!

May 9, 2012
Today I drove down to Dow's Lake to meet a couple for an engagement session, and when I turned the corner on Prince of Wales...what did I see, other than a FREAKIN' carnival being set up across the street. I mean, seriously? Number one, what are the odds of that happening the same weekend we have our shoot...number two, what on Earth did I do to deserve this great luck?! The plan is to bring the wedding party there for some portraits after our reception set up is finished :)

May 10, 2012
One. day. left. There were a couple challenges this morning, a couple last minute items that we had to deal with, but the whole while, I remembered my email from the Universe this morning:

Actually, Laura, if you understood the extraordinary gifts every
single challenge in your life makes possible, even inevitable,
you'd celebrate your challenges, new and old alike, as the omens
that they are of new beginnings, spectacular change,
and enhanced superpowers.
Perfect for where you are, huh?  
- The Universe

May 11th, 2012
Wiped. Completely...freakin'...wiped. It was a looooooooooong day, but I can't even tell you how excited I am about my memory card full of photos. I can't stop flipping through them over and over again.

Stephanie, Bryan, Dave, and Robyn were AMAZING models, wait until you see their gorgeous faces all over the blog, you'll love it :)

Here's my itty bitty sneak peek for the day:



P.S...just for memory's sake, today I've eaten: a breakfast shake, half a stick of cotton candy, and two bottles of Diet Coke.
Share:

4 comments :

  1. I LOVE IT! Can't wait to see these sure to be lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see the rest of them!!!!! <3 Thank you so much for letting us do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed! I can't wait to see the rest! High five to The Universe emails. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg omg omg!!! i'm dying over here!!! i cannot wait to see the shoot!!

    ReplyDelete

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed by Blogger Themes